Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Adventure.101

It started out like an ordinary day in Western Nairobi(commonly known as Westy) the birds were singing,the sun was shining and the tone,mood and atmosphere was just right for what I had been planning to do for the last three weeks.I had been warned by various people that trying to climb a mountain may seem all noble,grand and exciting but when you wake up the next morning with your muscles feeling like you spent the entire night on a treadmill,then you know you should have listened.That said,the only thing I knew that would stand between me and climbing that mountain was death.I went around my morning chores like I had all the time in the world,played some nice old skool music to accompany my coffee and eggs as I fastened my shoelaces, I knew before hand that this was going to be one of those days.The calls kept coming in one after another from my lovely partner in crime(crime here being climbing the mountain) Angy who as always was charged with the responsibility of making sure that we get to Thika on time.First call,7.30a.m..,
Angy: Davis,where are you?
Davis: I am around Odeon.
Angy: I don't hear any noise in the background.
Davis: The matatu has no radio.
Angy:Davis are you sure you are@Odeon.
Davis:Angy,you are not listening,I said I am around Odeon not at Odeon..,beep,beep,beep..,do you hear that? thats a matatu.we are stuck in traffic.
Angy:Ok,let me wait.
My dear Angy,what would I do without her...I finish my coffee,jump into my boxers,oops,I meant wear my track suit and then hit the road.
I get to Waiyaki way and they are neither buses nor matatus.I wait for about 5min.and one comes by,I jump into it and off we go.Next stop Kenya cinema,a convenient meeting point for urban dwellers who are not familiar with the city like yours truly.
After several apologies and promises never to be late again to Angy and Jacky who patiently waited for us,we strolled down town to get matatus heading to Thika,the industrial centre of Kenya(I'll come to that later)
We board one of them,pay our dues and off we go.
Now if you have never travelled in a Nairobi matatu,then you won't understand the euphoric state that engulfs you when you enter one with plasma screens,surround audio system and a nice D.J(read driver)this mat(as they call them)was off the hook,in Kiswahili I would say "ngoma kwa ma3 inabamba sana.,"
..,sounds of Beenie man,Method man(I dnt really like this man),Elephant man, Kelly man and lots of other women as well wafted through the air as we travelled to Thika,setting the right kind of mood for merrier times yet to come.We left Lavy somewhere looking for a lost friend.
Isn't it rythmical the way my Kenyan people just love the letter Y,Jackie is Jacky,Angela is Angy,Laviener is Lavy,Westlands is Westy,Parklands is Parky,Tuskys is well,Tuskys...,then the one that shocked me,a gal at church called the pastor..,wait for it...,Pasy..,I am not even sure I spelt that correctly.
We got to Thika at about 10a.m and lo and behold I found  a bevy of ladies all warming up to take on the mountain.They were draped in all sorts of caps,shorts,tank tops,flip flops,straw hats,Ray Burns or is it buns.,(I have done some shopping before as you can read) We packed our gear and off we went;
Destination: Mt.Kilamambogo.
The ride there was bumpy and rough.Alfie our guide and protector made it look like we were a stone's throw away when we actually several stones(literally) away.

We finally got there.I was exhausted by this time and just wondered how I would make it to the top of the mountain if I was already tired.
But like I said the only thing that was going to stand in between me and that mountain was death.So without further ado.We paid our dues,got a female guide who looked drop dead gorgeous with her rifle slung across her back and off we went.We were reliably informed of certain hyenas that prowl the grounds looking for mountain climbers dressed exactly like us.
When we started out,it was safer to let the people who could take on the hyenas without weapons lead the way,thats why above here,you can see Angy is at the front and I am@the back pretentiously pushing those who can't climb anymore.
What was meant to be a15km journey seemed like 100km after just 6km up the steepy slope.The muscles got weary and some felt like they would rather die than climb anymore.Yours truly was not ruffled.Remember I had been preparing for this.We almost called the ambulance but they too couldn't risk going up the slope even for our dear friend Grace.
It was tough,it wasn't easy.Only the strong could manage this herculean task.
The strides grew smaller and the gasps louder as we went.The law of the jungle says,
Only the strong survive and strong indeed some of us were.
Clearly Shiko couldn't believe she had made it.
Naomi proved why she could have gone on to beat Rudisha had her parents let her pursue athletics and not academics.
Together we basked at the top of Mt.Kilamambogo.
Don't ask me where the guys were,I have no idea.May be they just didn't make it..,
The trip down was nothing short of a tumble here,a stumble there as we ran down helter-skelter..,
Little did I know that our next destination was the 14Falls,if I had been told earlier,I would have worn my boxers so as to be able too swim,but I guess they knew how scary a sight I would be,especially for the foreigners,so they kept me out of the loop.
Now,if you live in Kenya and haven't been to the 14 Falls then you should be ashamed of yourself.This place was just what we were looking for after the long tedious climb.Presenting to you the Falls.
Now,I thought I had had my fill of fun when some one suggested we go for a boat ride..,(to be cont'd)
first the falls.
you see they were actually some other guy(s) beside myself.
Crossing the murky waters.
Angy spreading the love.
 Everybody spreading the love.
And now I present to you the best part of the entire adventure.It was a 5min.ride on an 8 seater boat(we were 14) from one end of the falls to the next.Ideally,it should take 5min.ours lasted 15min.I have never seen more people scared of water in my whole life.
 And as you would have guessed,while everyone was screaming,shouting and holding on for their dear lives,yours truly was sitted back doing this.

Special thanks to the people who organized this wonderful adventure and gave me the opportunity to;
1.See a part of Kenya,I didn't know.
2.Laugh my heart out.
3.Enjoy the after party....,
Special thanks go to Vig,Alfie&Angy..,u made this happen and for that you take my award for couple of the day.
And the lovely photographer who enabled this blog to have such lovely pics,Emmah,my childhood sweetheart.

Asante Sana..,


5 comments:

  1. oh wow this is awsm


    imma join you next time...that fo sho

    ReplyDelete
  2. next time we are doing the Himalayas..,miss at your own peril.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hihihih delirious D! sounds like u havin the time of ur life. this is amazing my friend, thanks for sharing.xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. ok,now that i see another guy in the picture..i was going to fume and complain. great story...live the life....

    ReplyDelete